Florida gas prices continue to drift lower, even as two tropical systems move toward the gulf coast. The state average price for gasoline is $2.07 per gallon, yet drivers in some Florida cities are finding prices below $2 a gallon.
In the Gainesville region, the average price of gas is $2.18 per gallon.
Nearly half of the refining capacity in the United States is located along the Gulf of Mexico, predominantly along the Texas and Louisiana coastlines. Hurricane Marco and Tropical Storm Laura are both forecast to make landfall in Louisiana in the coming days. Nearly a dozen oil refineries near New Orleans are in the hurricane warning area.
"The potential for a price hike is always there, when a hurricane threatens the gulf coast refinery region," said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. "So far, oil and gasoline futures prices have remained low, likely because Marco and Laura are not forecast to reach major hurricane status. Either way, incremental increases are possible if these storms cause damage resulting in long-term impacts to oil rigs, refineries or the fuel supply chain as a whole."
Florida's average price for gasoline has declined for 3-consecutive weeks. Sunday's state average of $2.07 is 2 cents less than a week ago, and 31 cents less than this time last year.
Florida drivers are paying 8 cents per gallon less than the highest price this summer, and nearly 50 cents less than the highest price of 2020.
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach ($2.20), Tallahassee ($2.18), Gainesville ($2.18)
- Least expensive metro markets – Punta Gorda ($1.96), Orlando ($2.01), Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater ($2.02)
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Record High|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Here are the 10 lowest gas prices in Alachua County, and the lowest in other Alachua towns, according to gasbuddy.com:
- Gate 3001 NW 13th Street Gainesville $1.99
- Murphy Express 6323 NW 13th Street Gainesville $1.99
- Gate 506 NW 13th Street Gainesville $1.99
- Wawa 2373 Old Archer Road Gainesville $1.99
- Sam's Club 4400 SW 33rd Place Gainesville $1.99
- Citgo 809 North Main Street Gainesville $1.99
- Sunoco 4207 NW 13th Street Gainesville $2.01
- The Short Stop 2610 NE 39th Street Gainesville $2.05
- Marathon 3936 West Newberry Road Gainesville $2.05
- Sunoco 610 NE 1st Avenue High Springs $2.05
Lowest in other Alachua County towns:
- Alachua: Marathon 9600 Martin Luther King Highway $2.09
- Archer: Mobil 13475 SW FL-45 $2.20
- Hawthorne Love's 5615 SE US-301 $2.06
- High Springs: Sunoco 610 NE 1st Avenue $2.05
- Melrose: Melrose Food Mart 1647 FL-100 $2.07
- Micanopy Marathon 106 NE US-441 $2.19
- Newberry: BP 45 SW 250th Street $2.21
- Waldo: Raceway 15330 NW US-301 $2.07
Lowest in other counties:
- Bradford: Murphy USA 14550 US-301 Starke $2.06
- Clay: BJ's 560 Blanding Boulevard Orange Park $1.94
- Clay in Keystone Heights - BP SE 63rd Street $2.17
- Dixie: Marathon 16194 SE US-19 Cross City $2.07
- Gilchrist: Sunoco 7560 North US 19 Fanning Springs $2.09
- Levy: Murphy Express 2126 North Young Boulevard Chiefland $2.05
- Marion: Walmart 7871 SW FL-200 Ocala $1.91
- Putnam: Murphy USA 1006 S. FL-19 Palatka $1.97
- Suwannee: BP 6886 Suwannee Plaza Lane Live Oak $2.04