We are actively searching for a managing editor to oversee day-to-day planning and publication of stories and content. The successful candidate will possess an entrepreneurial spirit to help us grow a dynamic community news website focused on delivering original reporting on Gainesville and the surrounding area.
- Plan all content according to the publication’s style, editorial policy and publishing requirements
- Monitor news gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, to include press releases, community contacts, and other news sources such as radio, television and wire services—with a strong focus on original news gathering
- Verify facts, dates and statistics, using standard reference sources with an absolute commitment to accuracy and the highest journalistic standards
- Ensure compliance with copyright permissions for both articles and photos
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability
- Assign content and work with staff reporters and freelance writers on original stories
- Edit content daily and plan email newsletters
- Help conceptualize and coordinate special projects such as editorial packages, interactive features, podcasts, etc.
- Supervise interns, as needed
- Supervise producer on video production shoots; video streaming and live shoots, as needed
Skills and Educational Requirements:
- B.A. in Journalism, English or related field
- Strong working knowledge of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar
- Ability and willingness to produce a tightly edited publication
- 5-7 years writing and editing—or equivalent experience
- Experience with search engine optimization
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and AP Style practices
- Basic knowledge of media law, including how to avoid libel
- Highly organized, detail oriented and capable of managing multiple projects/people
- Strong communication skills and the ability to interact effectively within and outside of the organization
- Ability to identify and solve simple and complex problems through effective evaluation and implementation skills
- Ability to supervise reporters and freelancers in a way that promotes personal growth, team camaraderie, and a culture of service to each other and our audience
To Apply please send your resume to email@example.com.