The North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System (NF/SGVHS) will hold a two-day virtual nursing hiring event Sept. 9-10.
The VA is hiring registered nurses (RNs) and licensed practical nurses (LPNs) for temporary and part-time positions at all of the 14 NF/SGVHS facilities, including the ones in Gainesville and Lake City.
The virtual hiring event is scheduled 1-6 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 9, and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Friday, Sept. 10. Individuals can register for the event by visiting the event webpage.
“We currently have 65 RN and 27 LPN vacancies,” Brenda Brinkley, NF/SGVHS chief nurse of operations, said in a phone interview. “We are trying to beef up our staff so there’s less burnout and give our staff on the front lines some support.”
The nursing event announcement comes a day after the VA held a recruitment event for housekeeping aides, who were offered $3,000 signing bonuses.
Brinkley said there are 2,000 RNs, LPNs and LPN assistants in the NF/SGVHS system, but the recent rise of the COVID-19 delta variant has increased patient needs.
VA officials are asking prospective employees to have a resume and (if applicable) a copy of their military discharge paperwork available (DD Form 214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge).
“We will have managers online, but we will not be doing interviews at the (virtual) event,” Brinkley said. “We will schedule the interviews shortly thereafter.”
The VA will not only be hiring permanent positions, but also temporary one-year, one-day contracts.
“That way they can have a long, good look at what we do at the VA and also for us to see them and see if it would be a good fit,” Brinkley said.
The VA said it provides competitive salaries, paid time off and paid holidays, career advancement opportunities and relocation incentives, among other benefits. Some of those details include:
- Up to a $10,000 signing bonus for those who qualify
- Paid vacation time that starts building right away, paid sick leave, and 11 paid federal holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance, including dental and vision care, which may become effective on the first full pay period
- Retirement benefits through the Federal Employees’ Retirement System, or FERS, a three-tier retirement plan that includes a 401(k)-type savings plan with an up to 5 percent employer match, Social Security, and pension
- Childcare subsidy (VA will help pay for childcare while the employee is at work)
- Transportation subsidy (VA will pay the cost of public transportation and van pools)
To learn more about careers at VA, please visit: www.vacareers.va.gov.