Starting Pay: $19.23/Hr
Bonus: Annual education incentive: Associate’s Degree $996, Bachelor’s $2,004, Master’s Degree $2,496
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
A training position involving attendance at a recognized law enforcement academy for the express purpose of becoming an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputy. This position requires commitment, diligence and initiative.
Work is performed under the supervision of the Training Bureau Sergeants and Uniform Patrol Division Commander. Performance is evaluated through observation and grades obtained.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: *
- Attend and successfully complete Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) basic law enforcement certification course.
- Pass the FDLE state certification examination.
- Meet all standards required for employment as an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputy.
This section of the job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of duties and responsibilities of the position. The omission of specific job function or tasks does not absolve an employee from being required to perform additional tasks incidental to or inherent to the position.
- Maintain passing grades at the designated Law Enforcement Academy.
- Work conditions and hours will vary according to the curriculum, sometimes to include classroom environment and strenuous physical indoor and outdoor activities. Work may be performed in any weather conditions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Speak, read, write, and understand English fluently.
- Ability to learn material presented at the academy.
- Ability to analyze problems quickly and effectively.
- Ability to apply modern law enforcement principles/procedures to solve practical problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to comprehend and follow instructions/orders.
- Good knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
High School/GED required, Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree preferred
Preferred Major(s): Criminal Justice, Psychology or related fields
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
CERTIFICATION AND LICENSING:
- Current, valid Florida driver license.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be a resident of Alachua County at the time of employment as a full time ACSO deputy unless authorized to the contrary by the Sheriff.
- Must pass the current ACSO pre-employment testing and background process.
- Must be willing to enter into a pre-employment agreement regarding length of ACSO employment.
- Sit for extended periods.
- Stand for extended periods.
- See and hear at a normal range.
- Ambulate independently.
- Lift/carry 150 pounds.
- Bend and squat.
- Manual dexterity.
- Drive a vehicle.
- Pass any required physical testing mandated by ACSO and/or FCJSTC.