The city of Gainesville will hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Saturday, Sept. 23, to mark the reopening of Forest Park.
The event will take place from 10 a.m. to noon at Forest Park (4501 SW 20th Ave.).
The park has been closed since February and the new renovations include:
- New turf for its three full-sized soccer fields, as well as for an additional 2/3-sized soccer field for younger players and senior athletes.
- Two sand volleyball courts each with adjustable nets for competition-quality play.
- Two basketball courts also striped for six pickleball courts.
- Both small- and large-dog park areas with new amenities.
- Outdoor lighting for evening play, 8 player benches, 30 new bleachers, 13 shade structures and perimeter fencing.
Additional improvements were made to the parking lots, two recreational pavilions, field drainage and irrigation.
Construction costs for the project totaled $3.6 million. The renovations were funded through the Wild Spaces Public Places surtax along with a $200,000 Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program matching grant.