The Alachua County Library District Foundation awarded Guylene Resue with the 15th annual Guy Hudspeth Award for her 20-year service at the Hawthorne Branch Library.
Resue has worked to make the library an important part of the community, heading the branch’s annual art show and facilitating relationships with the Hawthorne Area Historical Society.
When the Georgia-Pacific plant closed in 2011, the library press release said Resue partnered with local employment agencies and prepared to teach laid-off workers how to access services and apply for jobs.
“Receiving the Guy Hudspeth Award from the Alachua County Library District Foundation and the Kosman Foundation is a true honor,” Resue said in the press release. “I have truly enjoyed serving my greater Hawthorne community these 20 years.”
With the award, the library district will add Resue’s name to Katherine’s Tree, a 10-foot glass tree at the Headquarters Library. The leaves on the tree represent $2,000 donations to the library foundation’s endowment fund.
Nine other honorees and donors will also make it onto the tree.
- Ellen Hulslander (donor: Friends of the Library) Hulslander has volunteered as a table coordinator and a senior member of the Book Sale committee.
- Stephanie and Mark Olson (donor: Friends of the Library) The Olsons have served as sorters, table coordinators, and Book Sale volunteer coordinators
- Hope and Tony White (donor: Friends of the Library) Tony White is a key member of the team overseeing the Friends of the Library art area, including sorting, pricing, cataloging, and coordinating this section.
- Skye and John Maze (donor: Tony White) White donated this leaf for his daughter, Skye, and her husband, John. John Maze has opened the FOL book sales for a decade with welcoming songs on his bagpipes.
- Jessica Giuli Austin (donor: Mitzi Austin and Wayne Smith) This leaf was donated for Jessica Giuli Austin, wife of Victor Austin and mother of Reece and Matilda.
- Satya Paul Kalra (donor: Pushpa Kalra) Pushpa Kalra donated a leaf in memory of her late husband.