Gainesville City Hall employees had to wait outside for Gainesville Fire Rescue to perform an air quality check after evacuating the building around 11:30 a.m. Thursday.
According to GPD, the air quality check revealed acetone, a common solvent that is highly flammable and slightly toxic. Roof construction caused it to enter the building’s ventilation system and began spreading.
“GFR is on the scene and we do not suspect foul play, rather this is a result of roofing work being done on the building,” Mayor Lauren Poe wrote on social media.
He said the meeting was being moved out of “an abundance of caution and to protect public health.”
The new meeting is scheduled for 3 p.m. Monday. The joint meeting between the commission and Gainesville Housing Authority scheduled for that time has been canceled.
City Manager Lee Feldman said officials hoped the building would reopen tomorrow.
The commission meeting was scheduled to discuss opioid litigation, zoning changes and a GRU rate hike phased in over the several years.