The ordinance also includes the following standards:
- Fertilizers containing nitrogen and/or phosphorus may not be applied when soils are saturated with water, before heavy rain, or for the first 30 days after seeding or sodding.
- Fertilizers spilled on impervious surfaces must be removed immediately, and may not be blown or washed into stormwater systems or water bodies.
- Fertilizers shall not be applied within a minimum of ten feet from any waterbody unless a deflector shield is used (then a minimum distance of three feet is required).
- Grass clippings must be removed from streets, sidewalks, and driveways immediately.
- Fertilizer must be stored in areas protected from rainfall and stormwater runoff.
- All commercial and institutional applicators shall successfully complete the Florida Friendly Best Management Practices for Water Resources by the Green Industries training and carry evidence that they are a Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Sciences (FDACS) Commercial Fertilizer Applicator.