The Alachua County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) will test a remote comment feature at its regular meeting on Tuesday after nixing its third-party provider because of high costs.
Citizens will be able to call the county during its public comment period starting at noon. Commenters can speak for up to three minutes on general public comment, not concerning items on the agenda, and up to three minutes for items on the agenda.
Find full call-in information below.
The BOCC discussed adding back remote comment options in April, including recorded comments and Zoom add-on features. The commissioners motioned for staff to look into options and bring a plan back.
On Tuesday, the commission will discuss using American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds to run language including initiatives. The funding would allow the county to hire a full time immigrant liaison, translate documents, social media posts and website information, provide call-in services and implement signage at county parks and buildings.
The proposed estimate will be $875,000 for the first three years. The City of Gainesville recently adopted a similar proposal in late May.
In the consent agenda, the county will also vote on purchasing land near Micanopy for around $800,000. A developer planned to place a Dollar General on the property back in September.
Michele Lieberman, county manager, sent a letter to Micanopy in April requesting the town consider annexing and assuming ownership of the two properties. The county will use reserves from its general fund for the purchase.
The commissioners will also hold a public hearing for its proposed dock code changes.
Gov. Ron DeSantis appointed Raemi Eagle-Glenn to fill a vacant seat on the commission last Thursday. She will join the BOCC at its next regular meeting on June 28.
The following are Alachua County’s instruction on using the call-in comment system:
- The phone in public comment system is for the 12 p.m. (noon) comment period of our Regular Meetings only.
- Callers will have three minutes to comment on anything not on the agenda and three minutes to discuss anything on the agenda. Callers can choose either or both.
- Those commenting on items on the agenda will not be allowed to comment again on agenda items if attending the meeting in person later in the day.
- The call-in number is 1-929-205-6099. When prompted, enter meeting ID 873 5974 1977.
- Callers will be able to hear the meeting while on hold and can use the system to listen.
- If you wish to comment, raise your hand by dialing *9 (star nine).
- Once you are called on by the last four digits of your phone number, Unmute Your Phone by dialing *6 (star six).
- Please state your name and begin your comments.
- The public comment moderator will determine whether you want one or both comment opportunities and tell you when your time is up.