Florida gas prices have held relatively steady since Hurricane Laura made landfall along the Gulf Coast. The region is home to nearly half of total petroleum refining capacity in the United States. However, only about 15% of total US capacity shutdown as a precaution before the storm.
So far, there are no reports of significant long-term damage to gulf coast fuel supply chain, which provides gasoline to states like Florida. However, two refineries in Lake Charles, Louisiana are still conducting damage assessments.
“Normally, when a storm of this size hits the gulf coast refinery region, drivers see a jump in prices at the pump,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “However, gas prices have been held in check, likely due to lower demand because of the pandemic. Florida gas prices didn’t move much last week, but there could be a lag. Wholesale gasoline prices did get more expensive last week, which could cause retail prices to get slightly more expensive in the days ahead.”
Last week, gasoline futures pin-balled up and down before-and-after the storm made landfall. Ultimately wholesale gasoline prices finished the week up 5 cents. A similar increase is possible at the pump, but AAA is not forecasting a significant increase in gas prices.
Florida gas prices averaged $2.07 per gallon, on Sunday. The state average is the same as a week ago, 8 cents less than last month, and 38 cents per gallon less than this time last year.
To date, Florida gas prices averaged $2.10 per gallon for the month of August. That’s the lowest monthly price for August since 2004.
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($2.20), Tallahassee ($2.19), Panama City ($2.15)
- Least expensive metro markets – Punta Gorda ($1.96), Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater ($2.00), Orlando ($2.01)
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Record High|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
Here are the 10 lowest gas prices in Alachua County, and the lowest in other Alachua towns, according to gasbuddy.com:
- Mobil 7404 NE Waldo Road Gainesville $1.99
- Sam’s Club 4400 SW 33rd Place Gainesville $1.99
- The Short Stop 2610 NE 39th Avenue Gainesville $2.05
- Love’s 5615 SE US-301 Hawthorne $2.06
- Pure 405 NE 1st Street High Springs $2.08
- Texaco 6850 SE US-301 Hawthorne $2.08
- Citgo 1720 South Main Street Gainesville $2.09
- Marathon 1606 NW 13th Street Gainesville $2.09
- Shell 7015 US-301 Hawthorne $2.09
- Marathon 24252 West Newberry Road Newberry $2.11
Lowest in other Alachua County towns:
- Alachua: Shell 13820 NW 140th Street $2.17
- Archer: Shell 12771 SW FL-45 $2.19
- Hawthorne Love’s 5615 SE US-301 $2.06
- High Springs: Pure 405 NE 1st Street $2.08
- Melrose: Melrose Food Mart 1647 FL-100 $2.07
- Micanopy Marathon 106 NE US-441 $2.19
- Newberry: Marathon 24252 West Newberry Road $2.11
- Waldo: Raceway 15330 NW US-301 $2.19
Lowest in other counties:
- Bradford: Murphy USA 14550 US-301 Starke $2.06
- Clay: BJ’s 560 Blanding Boulevard Orange Park $1.92
- Clay in Keystone Heights – Shell 6835 FL-21 $2.10
- Dixie: Sunoco Cedar Street Cross City $2.15
- Gilchrist: Sunoco 7560 North US 19 Fanning Springs $2.09
- Levy: Murphy Express 2126 North Young Boulevard Chiefland $2.05
- Marion: Sam’s Club 3921 SW College Road Ocala $1.94
- Putnam: Sunoco 2600 Reid Street Palatka $1.99
- Suwannee: Gate 2940 CR-136 White Springs $2.06