Florida gas prices are leveling off, after plunging for 10 consecutive weeks. The 76-day streak of declines came to an end last week, as Floridians returned to the road, driving up demand for fuel.
In the Gainesville region, the average price of a gallon of gas is $1.92, the second highest in the state.
Gas prices dropped a total of 66 cents per gallon since February, when the coronavirus outbreak caused Floridians to stay home to stop the spread. The driving force behind plunging pump prices was low gasoline demand, which sank as much as 75 percent below normal levels during the lockdown. Since the phased reopening began last week, gasoline demand has improved to only 40 percent below year-ago levels.
“The plunge at the pump appears to be over now that Floridians are driving more often,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “The rising demand has restored optimism in the fuel market, causing higher crude oil and gasoline prices. Wholesale gasoline prices also increased last week, but not yet to a level that demands retailers to raise their rates.”
Crude oil prices hit 4-week highs last week. Friday’s closing price for WTI of $24.74 per barrel is 25 percent higher than the week before. Wholesale gasoline prices also increased by 25 percent, reaching their highest daily settlement in nearly two months.
Florida drivers are paying an average price of $1.76 per gallon. The state average is the same as a week ago, 20 cents less than last month, and nearly $1 per gallon less than last year.
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($1.93), Gainesville ($1.92), Fort Lauderdale ($1.87)
- Least expensive metro markets – Jacksonville ($1.63), Punta Gorda ($1.64), Pensacola ($1.65)
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Record High|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
In Alachua County, there are stations ranging from $1.68-$1.73. Here are the top 10 lowest prices, according to gasbuddy.com:
- Chevron at 7435 SE US 301 Hawthorne $1.68
- Texaco at 6850 SE US 301 Hawthorne $1.68
- Shell at 7015 US-301 Hawthorne $1.69
- Love’s 5615 SE US-301 Hawthorne $1.69
- Raceway 15330 NW US 301 Waldo $1.71
- Shell 6807 NE US 301 Hawthorne $1.73
- Citgo 18501 NW CR-236 High Springs $1.73
- BP 15295 NE US HIGHWAY 301 Waldo $1.73
- Raceway 16171 Martin Luther King Dr. Alachua $1.73
- Pure 405 NE 1st Street High Springs $1.73