Florida gas prices may be nearing their floor as most of Florida prepares for the first phase of reopening on Monday. The lifting of stay-at-home restrictions has boosted optimism within the fuel market that gasoline demand will begin to rise.
The Gainesville area remains the most expensive region with a $1.93 average per gallon cost.
After 10 weeks of mostly losses, crude oil prices rose 60 percent last week amid optimism that demand is beginning to pick up. The price for a barrel of US crude finished the week at $19.78 – the highest daily settlement in two weeks.
“The phased reopening of businesses and restaurants will signal a return to the road for many Florida drivers,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “Gas prices have plummeted 65 cents in the past 10 weeks. While the increased demand may not cause a pump price surge, it may signal the eventual end of the plunge at the pump.”
Florida gas prices are now averaging $1.77 per gallon – the lowest in four years. The state average is nearly 2 cents less than a week ago, 15 cents less than a month ago, and $1.02 per gallon less than this time last year.
- Most expensive metro markets – Gainesville ($1.93), West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($1.93), Fort Lauderdale ($1.88)
- Least expensive metro markets – Jacksonville ($1.61), Pensacola ($1.63), Panama City ($1.64)
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Record High|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
In Alachua County, there are still stations ranging from $1.69-$1.76. Here are the best prices in the county, according to gasbuddy.com:
- Shell at 7015 US-301 Hawthorne $1.69
- Raceway 15330 NW US 301$1.74
- BP 15295 NE US HIGHWAY 301 Waldo $1.74
- Shell 6807 NE US 301 Hawthorne $1.75
- Love’s 5615 SE US-301 Hawthorne $1.75
- Raceway 16171 Martin Luther King Dr. Alachua $1.75
- BP 15980 NW US Hwy. 441 Alachua $1.76
- Shell 16070 Martin Luther King Blvd. Alachua $1.76