Update: Newberry HS cleared after bomb scare

Update: Alachua County Public Schools reported at 11 a.m. Friday that Newberry High School has been cleared by law enforcement and nothing suspicious was found. 

Our original story: 

For the second time in 24 hours, Newberry High School received a bomb threat Friday morning according to the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office (ACSO).

Get The Latest News

Don't miss our top stories every weekday in your inbox.

“The call came in at 8:41 a.m.,” said ACSO spokesperson Cpt. Kaley Behl.

And like Thursday’s protocol, students are being evacuated to West Park and ACSO is sending deputies and a bomb-sniffing K-9 unit, Behl said.

On Thursday morning, Newberry High School received a bomb threat that was cleared by ACSO in the afternoon. 

“There’s a $1,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest,” said Newberry Mayor Jordan Marlowe, who is also Newberry High School history teacher. 

The evacuation comes on the heels of a spate of bomb threats at Buchholz High School, the largest school in the district. Last week authorities arrested a Buchholz student they believe is responsible for at least two of the threats.

Santa Fe College also briefly shut down due to a bomb threat on Sept. 14.

Editor’s note: This is a developing story and will be updated.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments