Former Gainesville Mayor Stuart “Craig” Lowe died on Saturday.
According to a city of Gainesville release, Lowe, 65, served as the District 4 commissioner from 2003-10 and then made history as the city’s first openly gay mayor, serving until 2013.
During Lowe’s time in office, the following items were accomplished:
- Opening of Senior Recreation Center at Northside Park
- Opening of Fire Station 8
- Installation of competition-level track at Fred Cone Park
- Opening of Innovation Square
- Approval of Sweetwater Wetlands Park project
- Removal of a cap that limited feeding homeless neighbors more than 13 meals per day.
Lowe also helped unite the community against a group of extremists who threatened to burn the Quran, the Islamic holy book. The story made international headlines.
View all comments