Gainesville police respond to two weekend traffic homicides, arrest one suspect

hit and run
hit and run

Officers from the Gainesville Police Department responded to two traffic homicides over the weekend. 

The first incident occurred at 5:18PM on Sunday when GPD officers answered multiple calls for a traffic crash at the 400 block of NE 25th Street. The preliminary investigation revealed a stolen 2008 blue Ford Taurus that was traveling southbound on NE 25th Street at a very high rate of speed when a stolen scooter, a 2017 green Taizhou, pulled in front of it. It appeared the Taurus took evasive action to avoid striking the scooter, swerved, left the roadway, and struck a tree. The subsequent impact split the Ford Taurus in half. 

The suspect on the stolen scooter left the vehicle at the scene, fled on foot, and was not located. 

Become A Member

Mainstreet does not have a paywall, but pavement-pounding journalism is not free. Join your neighbors who make this vital work possible.

The occupants of the stolen Ford Taurus were both juveniles, ages 13 and 17. The 13 year-old was pronounced dead on the scene and the 17 year-old was transported to UF Health/Shands with life-threatening injuries and remains in critical condition. 

GPD traffic homicide investigators are continuing their investigation and ask anyone who may have information related to this incident to contact them at 352-393-7741.

If someone wishes to remain anonymous, they can contact Crime Stoppers at 352-372-7687 or 

Latesia E. Fisher

The second incident occurred at 12:15 AM today when GPD units were dispatched to the 2400 block of NE 15th Street, in reference to a hit and run crash in which a vehicle struck a female on a scooter and left the scene. The victim was found lying in the street with agonal breathing and severe head trauma. She was transported to the UF Health/Shands emergency room where she later succumbed to her injuries. 

The suspect, Latesia E. Fisher, 23, who hit the victim, abandoned her vehicle, which was found near the scene. Fisher later returned to the scene and multiple signs of impairment were observed. A subsequent investigation resulted in her being arrested for DUI manslaughter, leaving the scene of a crash involving death, and no valid driver’s license. 

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments