Two Santa Fe College campuses received hoax bomb threats on Wednesday afternoon.
Santa Fe College Police Chief Ed Book said they received two separate bomb calls—one to the Perry Center in Alachua and the other at the Andrews Center in Starke—and the college was one of five to receive threats in Florida on Wednesday.
“Both threats appear to be similar to ones being received by other colleges and higher ed today and previously,” Book said in a phone interview, adding today’s threats were not considered credible at the time of the calls.
Local law enforcement agencies assisted SFPD in clearing the two campuses.
“We checked both centers,” Book said, stating that both centers are small, single buildings. “We cleared them with no device nor the belief that a device was ever there.”
According to published reports, other calls were made to Eastern Florida State College at its Cocoa and Palm Bay campuses around midday, City College in Hollywood was evacuated, Florida SouthWestern State College cleared its Punta Gorda campus and the Florida State College at Jacksonville South Campus was evacuated.
‘We’ll be following up and coordinating with all the other schools and regional law enforcement about the nature of what’s been said,” Book said. “We believe they’re false.”
Book said these calls come on the heels of multiple bomb threats at colleges throughout the nation, which in the past week have included Virginia and Ohio on Tuesday, Maryland on July 8, and Texas and North Carolina on July 7.
“We have received intelligence from other law enforcement networks about [other bomb threats],” he said. “Five today [in Florida] and there’s been many more over the last few months to higher-education agencies. We’ll be coordinating efforts in seeing what other similarities exist between those.”
SF received another hoax threat at its Northwest campus on Sept. 14, 2021.
Since August 2021, multiple high schools in Alachua, Columbia, Bradford and Gilchrist counties were evacuated and cleared due to false bomb and/or shooting threats.
- Bell student faces 5 felonies for bomb threats (April 27, 2022)
- Columbia, Bradford schools receive bomb threats (April 18, 2022)
- Bomb threats shake Gilchrist County schools (March 16, 2022)
- Update: Columbia High School cleared from threat (March 15, 2022)
- GHS receives fifth bomb threat (Feb. 14, 2022)
- Buchholz student arrested for bomb threats (Sept. 13, 2021)
- ACSO, GPD continue bomb threat investigations (Dec. 14, 2021)
- ACSO makes Hawthorne bomb threat arrest (Oct. 30, 2021)
- Eastside student arrested following bomb threat (Oct. 26, 2021)
- ACSO arrests eSchool student in Eastside bomb threat (Oct. 6, 2021)
- ACSO arrests Eastside bomb threat suspects (Oct. 6, 2021)
- GPD arrests second GHS bomb threat suspect (Oct. 5, 2021)
- Eastside HS receives third bomb hoax (Oct. 5, 2021)
- GPD makes arrest in GH bomb threat case (Oct. 1, 2021)
- Newberry rebounding after week of threats (Oct. 1, 2021)
- Two NHS students arrested for bomb threats (Sept. 30, 2021)
- Sheriff: Bomb threat suspects to be tried as adults (Sept. 30, 2021)
- NHS students detained in bomb threat probe (Sept. 30, 2021)
- Threats on Newberry schools come at high costs (Sept. 29, 2021)
- Gainesville High cleared after bomb hoax (Sept. 29, 2021)
- Bomb threats hit 4 Alachua County schools (Sept. 28, 2021)
- Newberry HS receives all-clear from threat (Sept. 27, 2021)
- Newberry HS cleared after bomb scare (Sept. 24, 2021)
- ACSO clears Newberry HS bomb threat (Sept. 23, 2021)
- BHS student used grandma’s account for bomb threats (Sept. 17, 2021)
- FBI assisting Buchholz bomb threat investigations (Sept. 8, 2021)
- Buchholz cleared after fourth bomb threat (Sept. 7, 2021)
- Buchholz receives third bomb threat (Sept. 2, 2021)
- Buchholz evacuated for bomb threat (Aug. 19, 2021)