For the second straight day, Columbia County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) deputies cleared Florida Gateway College (FGC) following hoax bomb threats.
According to posts on the CCSO Facebook page on Thursday morning, deputies searched the FGC campus and found no credible devices by 11:50 a.m. and FGC resumed its regular operations.
“The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office treats all situations of this nature seriously and investigates each incident thoroughly to the best of our abilities,” said CCSO Sheriff Mark Hunter in a social media statement.
Another threat occurred around 3 p.m. on Wednesday, and CCSO deputies cleared the campus in under three hours.
“At 5:45 pm the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office completed a search of the area of the Lake City campus that was under investigation and found no evidence of threat to the campus,” FGC President Larry Barrett wrote in a social media statement. “The campus will remain closed until tomorrow morning when regular hours and classes will resume.”
Santa Fe College also received non-credible threats at the Perry Center in Alachua and Andrews Center in Starke on Wednesday. Both SF and FGC were two of six Florida colleges to receive the hoax threats.
“Both threats appear to be similar to ones being received by other colleges and higher ed today and previously,” SF Police Chief Ed Book said in a phone interview on Wednesday.
The latest incidents continue a pattern that started in August 2021, when area high schools began receiving bomb threats.
- Santa Fe receives multiple bomb threats (July 13, 2022)
- Bell student faces 5 felonies for bomb threats (April 27, 2022)
- Columbia, Bradford schools receive bomb threats (April 18, 2022)
- Bomb threats shake Gilchrist County schools (March 16, 2022)
- Update: Columbia High School cleared from threat (March 15, 2022)
- GHS receives fifth bomb threat (Feb. 14, 2022)
- Buchholz student arrested for bomb threats (Sept. 13, 2021)
- ACSO, GPD continue bomb threat investigations (Dec. 14, 2021)
- ACSO makes Hawthorne bomb threat arrest (Oct. 30, 2021)
- Eastside student arrested following bomb threat (Oct. 26, 2021)
- ACSO arrests eSchool student in Eastside bomb threat (Oct. 6, 2021)
- ACSO arrests Eastside bomb threat suspects (Oct. 6, 2021)
- GPD arrests second GHS bomb threat suspect (Oct. 5, 2021)
- Eastside HS receives third bomb hoax (Oct. 5, 2021)
- GPD makes arrest in GH bomb threat case (Oct. 1, 2021)
- Newberry rebounding after week of threats (Oct. 1, 2021)
- Two NHS students arrested for bomb threats (Sept. 30, 2021)
- Sheriff: Bomb threat suspects to be tried as adults (Sept. 30, 2021)
- NHS students detained in bomb threat probe (Sept. 30, 2021)
- Threats on Newberry schools come at high costs (Sept. 29, 2021)
- Gainesville High cleared after bomb hoax (Sept. 29, 2021)
- Bomb threats hit 4 Alachua County schools (Sept. 28, 2021)
- Newberry HS receives all-clear from threat (Sept. 27, 2021)
- Newberry HS cleared after bomb scare (Sept. 24, 2021)
- ACSO clears Newberry HS bomb threat (Sept. 23, 2021)
- BHS student used grandma’s account for bomb threats (Sept. 17, 2021)
- FBI assisting Buchholz bomb threat investigations (Sept. 8, 2021)
- Buchholz cleared after fourth bomb threat (Sept. 7, 2021)
- Buchholz receives third bomb threat (Sept. 2, 2021)
- Buchholz evacuated for bomb threat (Aug. 19, 2021)